Why walking barefoot on the seashore (sand) is good for you!
Walking on barefoot over the natural surface is also known as Earthing. Sand in the ocean is one good platform to start over with. Initially one might experience tenderness in the calf muscle or the Tendo-Achilles region of the foot, it is because of the increased stress experienced by these muscle/tendons while walking barefoot on the sand.
White sand beaches are much preferable than brown or black sand as they lose their vital property of being good sand.
In general, walking barefoot has several health benefits such as:
- Lower blood glucose level and blood pressure levels
- Prevents from developing Type2 Diabetes
- Improves Cardio-respiratory fitness
- Risk of Coronary heart disease in women
- Reduces arthritis pain
- Effective in case of low back pain
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Improves energy level
- Reduces body weight and body fat percentage
- Reduces the risk of ankle sprains.
Other benefits of walking at the seashore :
- You get stronger: Sand provides resistance that strengthens your arches, ankles, and leg muscles. Your foot will be going through a full range of motion and every time your foot sinks into the sand, your muscles have to work extra hard to push you back up and move you forward. In addition, the resistance that comes from walking on sand will burn more calories which again results well in weight loss.
- Free Foot Massage: Walking barefoot on the sand and taking breaks while standing in the water will massage the soles of your feet. The motion activates the anastomosis of the blood vessels and lymphatic circulation, making your feet feel nice and relaxed. The sand will also exfoliate the dead skin cells of the soles making it feel softer. Sand is also rich in minerals which help you give that natural glow to your skin.
- Reduces stress: There’s nothing more relaxing than strolling near the water and listening to the sounds of the ocean. The sand gives a soft medium to walk upon which in-turn soothes your brain.
- Helps you to stay within the moment as you really need to be cautious while walking barefoot.
- Works best as Reflexology: Barefoot walking improves the senses and the reflex areas situated in the soles help in improving bodily functionings.
The preferable time to walk: 8 am to 10 am.
Distance: Ideal to walk a distance of 2 km/ day
Walking pace: Brisk
Contraindications: Barefoot walking on the seashore is contra-indicated for people suffering from serious cases of Diabetes so as to avoid the cuts and infections. It is also contraindicated for people having a bad knee joint / ankle joint.
By overlooking all the above points we can conclude that walking barefoot on the seashore is an excellent means to enjoy the mother ocean and also to take other benefits.
” Taking a daily beach walk especially as in one or two miles is a fantastic way to stay healthy. Combine that with fresh coastal air and do a batch of press-ups on the way along the beach and you will stay as fit as a fiddle”- Anonymous.